This project is read-only.

Ribbon in CAB, UIExtensionSites unusable

Apr 25, 2008 at 3:47 PM
Hello,
we want to use Ribbon menu in our new CAB application (DevExpress Ribbon, same look and capabilitities as Excel 2007 ribbon).

We are investigating how to use ribbon in CAB infrastucture. We have created UIAdapter for ribbon items, ribbon groups e.t.c.. (based on CABDevExpress from CodePles). Yes, this works, but the functionality accessible through UIAdapters (and UIExtensionsSite generally) is very very restricted. I can only Add or Remove group or item. But there can be galeries on the ribbon , text editors, check boxes, comboboxes...

I'm not sure if UIExtensionSite and UIAdapters is the right way to use with ribbon.

Can somebody suggest me the right way how can I can accomplish this?
Apr 25, 2008 at 3:50 PM
Sory, I am posting to wrong group. I am resending this message to Smart Client.
Apr 28, 2008 at 1:29 PM
I'll answer here anyway with my 2c. I would say avoid UI extension sites for multiple reasons, not only the fact that they won't fulfil your needs. I also think they're ugly and error-prone to code against. Instead, consider creating a ribbon service that abstracts away access to the ribbon. This is what we've done on a recent project and it has worked out well.

HTH,
Kent
Apr 29, 2008 at 3:18 PM

kentcb wrote:
I'll answer here anyway with my 2c. I would say avoid UI extension sites for multiple reasons, not only the fact that they won't fulfil your needs. I also t

Thanks, Kent. I will create ribbon service. Your suggestion is the same as my thoughts since last weekend.