SCSF evaluation and support

Feb 8, 2008 at 8:13 PM
Edited Feb 8, 2008 at 8:15 PM
I have been evaluating SCSF for last 2 weeks. Search and read various sources over the web and most info I got was from codeplex discussion boards. So thanks.
I have not seen production like application based on SCSF 2007 May release that entice me to use or recommend it. Besides all the good stuff in the backend, User interface support is lacking. I can build really good UI winform app using infragistics controls but I cannot use SCSF patterns at the same time. e.g. I would like to have outlook like bar that supports styling and collasible feature that Infragistics controls have. I cannot use infragistics ultraexplorerbar the way I use it on winforms. Also somehow UI is not as responsive in sample application I have seen so far(Bank Teller).

Can anyone point me to good production like sample based on SCSF 2007 May release? (Old Cab samples are just tough to understand and implement)
Developer
Feb 8, 2008 at 11:52 PM

PPMan wrote:
Besides all the good stuff in the backend, User interface support is lacking.

That's because CAB is not a replacement for WinForms; it's a framework to build WinForms applications with. The purpose of CAB is to make it easier to build windows desktop applications in a modular fashion.

I can build really good UI winform app using infragistics controls but I cannot use SCSF patterns at the same time.

Yes you can. Infragistics offers CAB compatible controls (UltraDockWorkspace, for example, which we use where I work).

Screenshot here: http://www.chrisholmesonline.com/images/timecard_mainscreen.jpg

I would like to have outlook like bar that supports styling and collasible feature that Infragistics controls have. I cannot use infragistics ultraexplorerbar the way I use it on winforms.

CAB will force you to do things differently - because of the architecture. But that doesn't mean you can't use the controls. All of the standard .NET WinForms controls are still valid, and that goes for the Infragistics stuff as well. What's needed here is a clear understanding of how CAB works; how the Workspaces operate. Once you understand that Workspaces are just different types of placeholders (deck, tab, etc.) for UserControls then it becomes easier to see that you can author views just as you would without CAB. UserControls are the bedrock for any composite view architecture, whether you're using CAB or not.

Can anyone point me to good production like sample based on SCSF 2007 May release? (Old Cab samples are just tough to understand and implement)

My guess is that most companies (ours included) aren't going to be able to release source code to you so you can see how it works in a real environment.

You may want to look into hiring a consultant to help you determine if CAB is what you really need.
Feb 10, 2008 at 1:24 AM
Thanks for your reply. Link you provided ended up on error page so couldn't access screenshot.
I understand CAB and SCSF framework are way to build modular and plugable app . Why is there Outlookbar workspace in Contrib project? It tells me if I have to build UI, I need to build workspaces that support complex UI and have specific interfaces. I could be wrong.
In any case thanks. I will continue my quest. Feel free to post any other link.
Developer
Feb 29, 2008 at 4:09 PM
If you are looking for a production like sample that is build on the top of SCSF May 2007 then you might find this link interesting: http://www.codeplex.com/cabext